Categories
Uncategorized

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Categories
Uncategorized

Peter and Paul Okoye of the P-Square Fame Reconcile

The musical twin brothers who make up P-Square, one of Africa’s best-known Afrobeats groups, have reconciled ending a years-long bitter feud.

The Nigerian duo – Peter and Paul Okoye – fell out over a family dispute, finally splitting in 2017.

They jointly celebrated their 40th birthdays on Thursday letting their Instagram followers know they were back together.

In 2015, P-Square were named Artist of the Decade by MTV Africa.

It is not clear if the siblings will be making new music together, but fans, who have been celebrating the reconciliation, clearly want that to be the case.

They are hoping for more hits like Do Me, Chop My Money and Bizzybody, which catapulted the pair to fame across the continent and beyond.

The exact cause of the fall-out has never been made public however past attempts at bringing them together, involving politicians, religious leaders and other celebrities fell through.

Various social media posts that they shared since the split hinted that the feud involved their wives and older brother, who was also their manager.

But in an Instagram message on Thursday, Peter and Paul said “2 heads are better than 1.”

There had already been hints that the two may have ended the row after they followed each other on Instagram. Then a video of them embracing went viral on Wednesday.

After the split they both went on to start solo careers as Mr. P (Peter) and Rudeboy (Paul) but neither reached the levels of success they achieved as P-Square.

As a duo they dominated the Nigerian music scene for years and were one of the first groups to export Afrobeats to other parts of the continent.

Their sell-out live performances were enhanced by their energetic break-dancing routines.

There were also collaborations with performers such as Tanzania’s Diamond Platinumz and American superstar Akon.

They signed to Akon’s Konvict Muzik label in 2011 and then a year later clinched a distribution deal with Universal Music Group.

As well as being named MTV Africa’s Artist of the Decade in 2015 they won the Best Group title three times.

Categories
Tanzanian News Uncategorized

Tanzania: President @SuluhuSamia Kicks off 3-Day State Visit to Egypt Tomorrow

Tanzanian President Samia Suluhu will start a 3-day state visit to Egypt tomorrow following invitation from President Abel Fatah al-Sisi.

During the visit, the two leaders will hold talks on diplomacy, economy, politics, tourism and social services.

President Samia will also witness signing of 1 agreement and 7 pacts.

Categories
Tanzanian News Uncategorized

Tanzania in the Spotlight for ‘Withdrawal’ from Arusha-based Human-rights Court

Summary
👉 In 2019, Tanzania became the second country in the EAC, after Rwanda, to withdraw the right of individuals and non-governmental organisations to directly access the African Court. Rwanda withdrew in 2016.
👉 Of the 55 AU member states, 31 have ratified the protocol establishing the continental court.
👉 Tanzania has the highest number of cases filed by individuals and NGOs, at 156 applications, as well as judgments issued against it by the African Court.

Tanzania has come under continental scrutiny for withdrawing from the African Court on Human and People’s Rights, which it hosts in Arusha.

In 2019, Tanzania became the second country in the EAC, after Rwanda, to withdraw the right of individuals and non-governmental organisations to directly access the African Court. Rwanda withdrew in 2016.

At the conference on the Implementation and Impact of Decisions of the African Court on Human and People’s Rights’ held last week in Dar es Salaam, participants observed that 15 years after the court was established, it is facing major challenges.

The court’s president Justice Imani Aboud, a Tanzanian, said that almost all its decisions are not enforced. Only six of the founding member states recognise its jurisdiction.

“This does not honour Africa, it does not honour member states of the African Union, it does not honour the African Court and Africans,” Justice Aboud said.

The Court was established in June 1998, with the protocol coming into force on January 25, 2004.

Ratification


Of the 55 AU member states, 31 have ratified the protocol establishing the continental court. Of the 31, only six — Burkina Faso, Gambia, Ghana, Mali, Malawi and Tunisia — have deposited a declaration recognising the competence of the Court to receive cases directly from NGOs and individuals.

On November 14, 2019, Tanzania’s then Foreign Affairs minister Palamagamba Kabudi signed a notice of withdrawal, and deposited it with the African Union Commission on November 21, 2019. The withdrawal took effect on November 22, 2020. But, after the death of president John Magufuli in March, President Samia Suluhu’s administration declared that Tanzania had not exited.

Liberata Mulamula, the current Foreign Affairs minister, said that the country wanted its citizens to first exhaust the local court processes before proceeding to the African Court.

“We have not withdrawn from the court. That is why Tanzania is still the headquarters of the court. We cannot withdraw and still host the court’s headquarters,” she added.

Her sentiments were later echoed by Vice President Philip Mpango.

“Tanzania hasn’t withdrawn from the African Court. Instead, the country has withdrawn from the Declaration made under Article 34 (6) of the Protocol on the African Charter for the Establishment of the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights, which permits individuals and non-government organisations to directly access the court,” he told delegates.

Read more

Categories
Uncategorized

Tanzania Broadcasting Corp Chief Ayub Rioba Quits, Posts Cryptic Message about his Departure

Categories
English News International Football Tanzanian News

Tanzania: “Very Disappointing,” Says ex- @SimbaSCTanzania Board Chair & Majority Shareholder @moodewji. Urges Tough Action vs Anyone Behind Simba’s Unexpected Elimination from CAF Champions League, Fans Heckle Dar Giants’ Players

Categories
English News Tanzanian News

Tanzania: Air Tanzania Among Entities that Borrowed Money Without Approval, says Parliamentary Accounts Committee

Dodoma. Air Tanzania Company Limited (ATCL, is among institutions that have been named by the Parliamentary Accounts Committee (PAC) that borrowed Sh896 billion without the approval of the Ministry of Finance and Planning as required by the law.

Another institution named by the PAC team is the Arusha International Conference Center (AICC).
The Vice Chairman of the committee, Mr Japhet Hasunga said this on Thursday, October 21, 2021 during an interview with The Citizen after reviewing the report of the Controller and Auditor General (CAG) for the year 2019/20.

Mr Hasunga said they have also noted the lack of a proper record keeping for the national debt where some debts are either not visible or the records are not accurate.

“All institutions that borrowed money without the ministry’s approval are required to repay the debts because we have identified they were not approved by the Finance and planning ministry,” Mr Hasunga said.
He did not however say when exactly the said monies were borrowed.

In addition, Hasunga said the committee found that the criteria used to assess the sustainability of the debt was not well established.
“The government said criteria would change as Tanzania is currently classified as a middle income country,” he said.

It was the same report that identified that Air Tanzania Ltd among the loss making government entities.
During his report presentation at the State House Dodoma, CAG Charles Kichere said one of the loss-making companies that came to the forefront was ATCL, emerging that the carrier has incurred losses worth Sh150 billion in the past 5 years.

CAG Kichere said ATCL flights traveling abroad run the risk of being impounded because of the huge debts and the related interests.

“During the pandemic, many aircraft were parked but ATCL was paying rental fees regardless of whether the aircrafts were not operating due to the Covid 19 challenge. This was due to the lease agreement between Tanzania Government Flights Agency and ATCL. ‘There was no clause in the agreement that says when the aircraft is not functioning we should not pay,”CAG Kichere was quoted.


He said between March and June 2020, ATCL was charged Sh15.4 billion for aircraft rental while they were not providing services and the agency also inherited huge debts with interest.

SOURCE: The Citizen

Categories
Tanzanian News Uncategorized

Tanzania President Samia Suluhu Hires Tony Blair to Handle Fight vs COVID and Rebuild Country’s International Reputation

Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair has made two official visits to Tanzania since Samia Suluhu Hassan assumed the presidency in March this year after the sudden death of her predecessor, John Magufuli.

Government officials say that the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change has been hired by President Samia to handle two of her administration’s key projects: the fight against Covid-19 and rebuilding Tanzania’s international reputation.

In July, Blair paid his first courtesy call to Tanzania where he and President Samia discussed how to combat the Covid-19 pandemic.

Blair said his institute is responsible for facilitating the testing and distribution of vaccines, and may help Tanzania to access top vaccine producers.

SOURCE

Categories
English News Politics Tanzanian News

Tanzania: Opposition ACT-Wazalendo Massively Win Konde By-Election in Zanzibar, Their Candidate Mohammed Said Issa Gets 72% of Votes.

Categories
Terrorism Uncategorized

September 11th Attacks : What Happened on 09/11/2001?

On Tuesday 11 September 2001 suicide attackers seized US passenger jets and crashed them into two New York skyscrapers, killing thousands of people.

The attack remains one of the most traumatic events of the century, not only for Americans but also for the world.

What were the targets?

Four planes flying over the eastern US were seized simultaneously by small teams of hijackers.

They were then used as giant, guided missiles to crash into landmark buildings in New York and Washington.

Two planes struck the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York.

The first hit the North Tower at 08:46 Eastern Time (13:46 GMT). The second crashed into the South Tower at 09:03.

The buildings were set on fire, trapping people on the upper floors, and wreathing the city in smoke. In less than two hours, both 110-storey towers collapsed in massive clouds of dust.

At 09:37 the third plane destroyed the western face of the Pentagon – the giant headquarters of the US military just outside the nation’s capital, Washington DC.

The fourth plane crashed in a field in Pennsylvania at 10:03 after passengers fought back. It is thought the hijackers had meant to attack the Capitol Building in Washington DC.

Civilians flee as a tower of the World Trade Center collapses September 11, 2001
image captionNew Yorkers fleeing the debris from the attack

How many people died?

In all, 2,977 people (not counting the 19 hijackers) lost their lives, most of them in New York.

  • All 246 passengers and crew aboard the four planes were killed
  • At the Twin Towers, 2,606 people died – then or later of injuries
  • At the Pentagon, 125 people were killed

The youngest victim was two-year-old Christine Lee Hanson, who died on one of the planes with her parents Peter and Sue.

The oldest was 82-year-old Robert Norton, who was on another plane with his wife Jacqueline, en route to a wedding.

When the first plane struck, an estimated 17,400 people were in the towers. Nobody survived above the impact zone in the North Tower, but 18 managed to escape from the floors above the impact zone in the South Tower.

Citizens of 77 different countries were among the casualties. New York City lost 441 first responders.

Thousands of people were injured or later developed illnesses connected to the attacks, including firefighters who had worked in toxic debris.

Ruins of the twin towers, two days after the attack.

Who were the attackers?

An Islamist extremist network called al-Qaeda planned the attacks from Afghanistan.

Led by Osama Bin Laden, al-Qaeda blamed the US and its allies for conflicts in the Muslim world.

Nineteen people carried out the hijackings, working in three teams of five and one of four (on the plane which crashed in Pennsylvania).

Each group included someone who had received pilot training. This was carried out at flying schools in the US itself.

Fifteen hijackers were Saudis like Bin Laden himself. Two were from the United Arab Emirates, one was from Egypt and one was from Lebanon.

Map showing four locations of attacks

How did the US respond?

Less than a month after the attacks, President George W Bush led an invasion of Afghanistan – supported by an international coalition – to eradicate al-Qaeda and hunt down Bin Laden.

However, it was not until 2011 that US troops finally located and killed Bin Laden in neighbouring Pakistan.

The alleged planner of the 9/11 attacks, Khalid Sheikh Mohammad, was arrested in Pakistan in 2003. He has been held in US custody at Guantanamo Bay since then, and is still awaiting trial.

Al-Qaeda still exists. It is strongest in Sub-Saharan Africa but even now has members inside Afghanistan.

US troops left Afghanistan this year after nearly 20 years, stoking fears from many that the Islamist network could make a comeback.

Tributes to the dead of 9-11
image captionA collection of photos of the victims of 11 September 2001, in the 9/11 museum in New York

The legacy of 9/11

Flight safety was tightened around the world in the years following 9/11.

In the US, the Transportation Security Administration was created to beef up security at airports and on planes.

It took more than eight months to clean up “Ground Zero” – the site of the fallen Twin Towers.

A memorial and a museum now stands on the site, and buildings have risen up again, to a different design.

The completed centrepiece – One World Trade Center, or “Freedom Tower” – stands even higher (1,776ft (541m) than the original North Tower, which was 1,368ft.

Reconstruction at the Pentagon took just under a year, with staff back in their offices by August 2002.

SOURCE